PPERA (Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act 2000) gives the Electoral Commission responsibility for:
- designating lead campaign organisations
And how was that imposed? Through a series of lead campaign group benefits which are:
- A higher spending limit than other registered campaigners
- Free distribution of their information to electors
- Referendum campaign broadcasts
- Free use of certain public rooms
So get this, The Electoral Commission officially designated the two main referendum groups Yes Scotland, which is fighting for a yes vote, and the pro-UK group Better Together as the official lead campaigns in the contest. Read it here if you've forgotten.
Funny that! Now of course none of that should really be surprising apart from to members of the swivel eyed fraternity. Here's another shocker for them. Did they know that during the Second World War Atlee (yes, the Labour Leader) served under Churchill who was... yes.. a Tory!